The Braves operate teams across IHV’s Summer and Winter Competitions.
Learn to Play
People who are new to ice hockey will need to develop their fundamental hockey skill set, including skating (e.g. crossovers, transitions and stopping) and puck handling (e.g. passing, receiving, shooting) before joining a team.
Junior players (under 16) can participate in IHV’s Development Council, which will help develop your skill set before joining one of the age-apprioriate teams. See the IHV website for further details.
Senior players (over 16) can join one of the hockey schools in Melbourne: Next Level Hockey Australia (Oakleigh South) and O’Brien Icehouse Hockey Academy (Docklands) or IceHQ Hockey School (Reservoir).
Join us in Summer
The summer competition runs from October to March, and represents the ‘Development’ and ‘Social’ grades of ice hockey in Victoria. There are five levels of non-checking competition aimed at beginner to advanced players.
If you wish to join the Braves in Summer, please read and fill in the form below:
Join us in Winter
The Winter competition runs from April to September, and represents the ‘Premier’ grades of ice hockey in Victoria. There is one advanced level checking competition, and three levels of non-checking competition aimed at intermediate to advanced players.
You are able to join the Braves in Winter via three avenues:
(1) Enter the IHV Winter Draft, and be selected by the Braves in that draft
(2) Be an existing Winter player at another IHV club and organise a trade to the Braves
(3) Be an existing Braves Summer player of 2+ years, playing in Division 3 or higher, and be selected by the club as a ‘Protected Player’ to transfer to our Winter program
Questions from prospective players can be directed to:
- Bianca Cassar (winter program)
- Jess Kirwan (summer program)